Stop the presses: we absolutely love these classic, soft-batch sugar cookies by acclaimed cookbook author Dustin Harder. This vegan version of that thick, soft, and cakey treat will bring a smile to anyone’s face. You have been warned, though: these cookies are lighter than the traditional dense sugar cookie, and are truly addictive. We dare you to eat just one!
What you need:
For the cookies:
2 tablespoons flax meal
¼ cup water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
1 cup organic granulated cane sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup vegan sour cream
What you do:
- For the cookies, whisk flax meal and water in a small bowl and set aside for at least 5 minutes. Into a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside. Into a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar 2 to 3 minutes on medium speed. Add vanilla, flax mixture, and sour cream. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients with the wet, a half cup at a time, until well combined. Form dough into a rectangle approximately 1-1/2 inches thick. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper. Remove chilled dough from plastic wrap and turn onto a floured surface. Roll dough out with rolling pin until 1/3-inch thick. Use a cookie cutter and cut dough into circles or desired shape.
- Place cut-out dough onto baking sheet. Bake 5 to 6 minutes or until cookies are lightly golden in color on the bottom. Keep a close eye as they bake to avoid burning, and cool completely before frosting.
- For the buttercream frosting, by hand or with a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla, lemon, salt, and confectioners sugar, half cup at a time, until smooth and desired stiffness is reached. Frost cooled cookies, and top with vegan sprinkles.