Upgrade your macro bowls, with this grain-free cauliflower recipe from the Smorgasbowl cookbook topped with silky, cashew vegan ranch and paired with a tangy cabbage-fennel slaw.
What you need:
For the ranch:
1 cup raw cashews
1 garlic clove
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh dill, minced
1 tablespoon fresh chives, thinly sliced
For the spiced cauliflower:
2 tablespoons avocado oil
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon mustard powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets and pieces
For the slaw:
¾ small head of Napa cabbage, sliced thin from leafy end
1 medium fennel bulb, green tops removed and sliced thin
4 stalks of celery, sliced thin
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons lemon juice
For the corn and beans:
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 ear of raw corn, cut from cob
1 (16-ounce) can of white beans, drained and rinsed
What you do:
- For the ranch, into a high-speed blender, combine cashews, garlic, water, and salt and blend on high, about 30 to 45 seconds. Pour into a container and then stir in dill and chives. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Into a large bowl, add oil, onion powder, garlic, chili powder, mustard powder, and salt. Add cauliflower to bowl and toss in spiced oil until evenly coated.
- Onto a baking sheet, spread cauliflower evenly over pan in a single layer. Bake cauliflower until lightly browned and tender, about 40 to 45 minutes, turning over cauliflower halfway through.
- For the slaw, in a bowl, combine cabbage, fennel, celery, salt, and lemon juice and toss.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add corn and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on one side, then add beans to pan and sauté until heated through, about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, into a serving bowl, add baked cauliflower, slaw, beans, and corn and top with dressing.