Sweet pineapple and banana, zesty and creamy frosting, and toasted pecans will make this extra-special cake from the Plant Based Cooking Made Easy cookbook your new go-to for any special occasion.
What you need:
For the cake:
3 cups oat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1½ teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups Medjool dates, pitted
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups mashed bananas
1 cup crushed pineapple
3 flax eggs (3 tablespoons flax meal plus 6 tablespoons water)
2 cups toasted pecans, divided
For the frosting:
2 cups cashews, soaked and drained
4 Medjool dates, pitted
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla
Juice of 1 lemon
¼ teaspoon salt
What you do:
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 3 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper.
- Into a medium bowl, mix oat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Into a blender, add dates, almond milk, and vanilla, and blend until smooth.
- Stir blended mixture into dry ingredients. Fold in mashed bananas, pineapple, and flax egg. Fold in 1½ cups of pecans.
- Divide mixture between cake pans. Place in oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
- For the frosting, into a blender, add cashews, dates, ½ cup water, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt and blend until smooth. Add remaining water if necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Place cake on a cake tray or plate. Spread ½ cup of frosting onto top of cake. Top with second cake. Spread ½ cup of frosting on top. Add third cake and use remaining frosting to frost entire top and sides of cake. Sprinkle remaining pecans on top of cake and serve.