Level up your Sunday brunch by using fluffy slices of brioche as the bready component in your French toast with this recipe from the Orchids + Sweet Tea: Plant-Forward Recipes with Jamaican Flavor & Southern Charm cookbook.
What you need:
For the French toast:
1 cup room temperature unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1 loaf vegan brioche bread (about 15 ounces)
1 tablespoon unsalted vegan butter, for cooking
1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
Fresh rosemary leaves
What you do:
- In a large bowl, whisk almond milk, vanilla, arrowroot starch, flaxseed, cinnamon, and salt. Set batter aside to thicken slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Cut loaf of bread into 8 slices, ¾- to 1-inch thick, depending on loaf size.
- Preheat a griddle over medium-high heat. Once hot, add butter and let melt.
- Dip a slice of bread into batter, getting both sides, and let soak for 1 to 2 seconds. Place on greased griddle and cook until golden brown with crisp edges and fully cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- To serve, stack two pieces of French toast on a plate, layering 1 or 2 slices of apples between them. Top each stack with blackberries, a drizzle of maple syrup, and fresh rosemary.