Vegan Chai-Spiced Sugar Cookies With Spiked Eggnog Frosting
A boozy, rum-spiked eggnog frosting takes this VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest-winning recipe to the next level.
December 23, 2022
A fiery chai spice mix adds punch to these soft and chewy sugar cookies, but the buzzy rum-nog frosting seals the deal—and made these a winner in our 2022 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest.
What you need:
For the cookies:
½ cup vegan butter
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
⅛ teaspoon ground star anise
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
For the eggnog frosting:
2 cup powdered sugar
¼ cup vegan butter, softened
⅓ cup vegan eggnog
2 teaspoons light rum
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
What you do:
- For the cookies, into a medium bowl, add butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, star anise, and black pepper. Using a whisk, beat for 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flax and water, and let sit three minutes. Add to butter mixture, plus vanilla, and beat another 30 seconds.
- Sift in flour, baking soda, and salt, and mix until a thick dough forms. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and place in refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Into a small bowl, add sugar.
- Remove dough from refrigerator, and use a cookie scoop to portion out 10 to 12 evenly sized cookies. Roll between palms to form a ball, and then roll in sugar until coated. Place at least 2 inches apart onto prepared sheet.
- Bake 10 to 13 minutes, or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately tap tray gently on counter. Let cookies cool on baking sheet 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let cool completely.
- For the frosting, in a large bowl, beat sugar and butter, gradually adding eggnog and rum until smooth. Frost cooled cookies, and sprinkle with cinnamon.