Vegan Roasted Sweet Basil Squash With Wild Rice and Mustard Greens Salad
This buttery, autumn squash is slowly roasted to intensify its sweet flavor in a salty and spicy basil marinade, and served with a peppery seasonal salad.
November 23, 2021
The squash in this recipe from the Mind Food: Plant-Based Recipes for Positive Mental Health cookbook can be served as wedges or in smaller pieces tossed with a salad.
What you need:
For the squash:
1 cup tamari
1 cup sesame oil
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 lime, zested and juiced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ cup of basil, stems removed
2 ½-inch thick wedges of onion squash, seeds removed
For the wild rice salad:
½ cup wild rice, cooked
1 cup red cabbage, very finely sliced
¾ cup mustard leaves
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking tray and baking paper.
- For the squash, in a glass jar, place tamari, sesame oil, maple syrup, lime zest and juice, ginger, and garlic, and shake thoroughly to combine. Add basil leaves.
- Onto lined baking tray, place squash, spaced slightly apart. Pour ¾ of marinade over squash and toss to coat.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until soft, flipping squash over half way through.
- For the wild rice salad, in a large bowl, toss wild with cabbage, mustard leaves and remaining marinade.
- Onto two serving plates, place squash and serve with salad.
Photo credit: Sara Kiyo Popowa