Makes 30 cookies
What you need:
For the cookies:
1 cup vegan butter, softened
1½ cups cane sugar
Egg replacer for 1 egg
3 tablespoon of chai latte mix or contents of 3 chai tea bags, finely ground
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
For the espresso frosting:
¼ cup vegetable shortening
¼ cup vegan butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoon of strong brewed espresso, cooled
½ teaspoon salt
For the spice blend:
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cardamom
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon black pepper
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. For the cookies, in a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the vegan egg, chai, and vanilla, and beat for 1 minute, until fully incorporated.
3. Into a separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. Add to wet ingredients in stand mixer and beat on medium-low speed, until fully incorporated.
4. Pinch off enough dough to make 1½-inch balls, place onto baking sheet, and press down slightly. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
5. For the frosting, into a medium bowl, beat together shortening, butter, and espresso. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until smooth and fluffy, then add salt and mix to incorporate.
6. For the spice blend, into a small bowl, add all ingredients and mix together.
7. To assemble, spread frosting on to cooled cookies and top with spice blend.
First Place: Chocolate-Dipped Almond Cranberry Shortbread Cookies by Rosie Scott-Benson
Second Place: Gluten-Free Pumpkin Spice Oatmeal Cream Pies by Mary-Kate Lynch
Click here for the 2017 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest Finalists. And for even more amazing holiday cookies, check out the 2015 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest and 2012 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest winners.
Photo by Hannah Kaminsky
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!