What you need:
For the cookie dough:
¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
6 tablespoons vegan butter
¾ cup light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed, combined with 5 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups all-purpose flour
⅓ cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
For the peppermint buttercream:
¼ cup vegan butter, chilled
¼ cup vegan cream cheese, softened
1½ cups powdered sugar
1½ teaspoons peppermint extract
1 tablespoon water
2 candy canes, crushed
What you do:
- For the cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. In a double boiler, combine chocolate chips and vegan butter, and melt until smooth.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in brown sugar, ¼ cup granulated sugar, flax mixture, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add chocolate mixture to flour mixture, and stir to combine.
- Into a small bowl, place remaining ¾ cup granulated sugar. Scoop 2 tablespoons of cookie dough and roll into ball shape. Coat with sugar and place onto lined cookie sheet, placing 2 inches apart. Gently make a thumb imprint in each ball. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven, and let cool completely on wire racks.
- For the buttercream, in a medium bowl, add vegan butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and peppermint extract, and mix until smooth.
- To assemble, fill each cookie center with buttercream and sprinkle crushed candy cane on top.
Second Place: Soft-Baked Citrus Cranberry Cookies with Lemon Drizzle
Third Place: Maple Sandwich Cookies with Maple Cream Cheese Filling
Photo courtesy of Hannah Kaminsky
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!