These sweet and sumptuously spiced pancakes aren’t afraid to take center stage at your next big breakfast—they’re the kind worth savoring over a second cup of coffee or tea.
What you need:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar or natural sweetener
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-l/4 cups soymilk or other dairy-free milk
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- Pure maple syrup or blueberry syrup
- Fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, for garnish
What you do:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and allspice and set aside. In a food processor or blender combine the soymilk and half of the banana slices and process until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing with a few swift strokes until just combined. Fold in the remaining banana slices.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Ladle about 3 tablespoons of the batter onto the hot griddle. Cook on one side until small bubbles appear on top, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes with a metal spatula and cook until the other side is lightly browned, about 1 minute more. Keep the cooked pancakes warm in the oven while you prepare the remaining pancakes. Top with maple or blueberry syrup and fresh fruit as desired.
Photo courtesy of Garrison McArthur Photographers
Love vegan food and cooking
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of