Buffalo sauce plus everything seasoning pair up to make these fiery appetizers from Epic Vegan cookbook. Serve them up at your next party for a sure-fire crowd pleaser.
What you need:
For buffalo sauce:
1 cup hot sauce
¼ cup vegan butter
¼ cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
2 teaspoons sea salt
For cauliflower bites:
1 cup flour
1 cup stone-ground cornmeal
¼ cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1½ cups seltzer water
4 cups canola oil
1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size florets
2 scallions, roughly chopped
Store-bought vegan blue cheese dressing, for dipping
What you do:
- For the sauce, in a small saucepan, combine hot sauce, butter, and brown sugar. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 3 minutes, or until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.
- For the everything coating, in a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Set aside.
- For the cauliflower bites, in a medium bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Slowly add seltzer water, whisking until well combined and a thick batter has formed.
- In a large pot, heat oil to 350 degrees. Line a plate with paper towels. Working in batches, transfer half of cauliflower florets into batter, tossing until evenly coated. Using tongs, carefully transfer a few pieces into pot and fry for 4 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to plate. Repeat until all cauliflower is fried.
- In a large bowl, toss ¼ of fried cauliflower bites with ¼ of buffalo sauce and 2 teaspoons of everything mixture. Transfer bites to a serving tray and repeat for remaining bites. Sprinkle plated cauliflower with any remaining everything mixture and scallions. Serve with blue cheese dressing on the side.
Photo credit: Dustin Harder
Want more of today’s best plant-based news, recipes, and lifestyle?
Get our award-winning magazine!