Pair this ultra-chocolaty baked good, from the Baked With Love cookbook, with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream, cherry compote, and extra chocolate drizzle.
What you need:
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon vegan butter, divided
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cassava flour, divided
⅔ cup plus ½ cup unsweetened chocolate chips, divided
½ cup unsweetened applesauce, room temperature
½ cup coconut sugar
Coconut whipped cream, for topping
Fresh raspberries, for garnish
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and use to grease four 5.4-ounce ramekins, then dust ramekins with 1 tablespoon of cassava flour.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat remaining ½ cup butter until melted and hot to touch. Add ⅔ cup of chocolate chips and stir until melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to beat applesauce and coconut sugar until well combined. Pour in melted chocolate mixture and fold into applesauce mixture. Add remaining ½ cup of cassava flour and mix until smooth.
- Fill each ramekin three-quarters full with batter. There will be batter remaining in bowl. Add 1 heaping tablespoon of chocolate chips to middle of each ramekin.
- Top with remaining batter. Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until middle just begins to set.
- Remove from oven and let cool and set for 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of cakes and flip over gently onto serving plates. Serve warm, topped with coconut whipped cream and raspberries.
Photo credit: Brittany Berlin
The VegNews Mega Birthday Sale ends July 31 at midnight! Get the BEST vegan recipes, travel, celebrity interviews, product picks, and so much more inside every issue of VegNews Magazine—at a special birthday price. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!