These cinnamon rolls from the Orchids + Sweet Tea blog get an extra boost of seasonal flavor thanks to sweet cinnamon apple pie filling and a thick maple glaze.
What you need:
For the dough:
1 packet rapid rise yeast
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon brown sugar, divided
¼ cup warm water
1¼ cup almond milk, room temperature
6 tablespoons vegan butter, softened, but not melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups flour, plus more for dusting work surface
2 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon allspice
⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon olive oil
For the apple filling:
½ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 medium Gala apples, peeled and diced
3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted, divided
For the maple glaze:
¼ cup vegan butter, softened at room temperature
4 to 5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
¼ cup maple syrup
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon almond milk
What you do:
- For the dough, in bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine yeast and 1 tablespoon brown sugar and slowly pour in warm water while stirring frequently. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow yeast to activate.
- Add milk and butter to yeast mixture and whisk until well combined. Add in vanilla and whisk to incorporate.
- In a large bowl, whisk flour, bread flour, remaining brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, cardamom, and salt and add to wet ingredients. Mix on low-speed until well combined and a dough-like consistency is achieved, about 3 minutes.
- Change mixer head to a dough hook and knead dough for 5 to 10 minutes on high speed until smooth and elastic and dough springs back when lightly pressed together with 2 fingers.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with oil and add dough, gently turning until coated. Cover with a towel and let sit for 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- For the apple filling, in a medium bowl, mix cinnamon and brown sugar. Set aside. In a separate bowl, add apples. Set aside.
- Line a large 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper, allowing excess to hang over sides.
- Sprinkle a clean surface with flour and place dough onto it. Using a rolling pin, roll into a rectangular shape, approximately 9x14 and ½-inch thick, trimming edges if needed. Brush 5 tablespoons of melted butter onto dough. Evenly sprinkle with brown sugar mixture and diced apples.
- Tightly roll dough and using a pastry cutter, cut into 1½-inch rolls, placing each roll, cut side down into prepared baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to chill overnight, or for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Remove rolls from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature to rise for 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and brush tops of rolls with remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- For the maple glaze, in a large bowl, beat softened butter until creamy and smooth. Add powdered sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, and milk, and beat until smooth.
- Remove rolls from oven and wait 30 minutes or until completely cool, before spreading evenly with glaze.
Photo credit: Shanika Graham-White