Tender hearts of palm takes the place of meaty crab in this stuffed mushroom recipe from the Make It Vegan cookbook, while a sprinkle of Old Bay lends rounds out the classic crab flavor.
What you need:
1 (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained and roughly chopped
1 large shallot, roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1½ teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
½ cup vegan cream cheese, softened
¾ cup panko breadcrumbs, divided
½ cup shredded or grated vegan parmesan
16 large baby bella or white mushrooms, destemmed
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
Minced fresh parsley, for garnish
Lemon wedges, for serving
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, place hearts of palm, shallot, garlic, and parsley and pulse just until ingredients are finely chopped, 30 seconds to 1 minute, being careful to not overprocess mixture.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of oil. Once oil is hot, add hearts of palm mixture and season with Old Bay. Cook, stirring often, for 6 to 8 minutes, until mixture is heated through.
- To a large bowl, transfer mixture and add cream cheese, ¼ cup of breadcrumbs, and parmesan and mix well. In a separate large bowl, toss mushroom caps with remaining tablespoon of oil and salt. In a third bowl, stir remaining ½ cup of breadcrumbs with melted butter, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Working with one mushroom cap at a time, carefully spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of filling into each cap. Place stuffed mushrooms on prepared baking sheet and top each one with a spoonful of breadcrumb mixture. Bake uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and crispy on top. Garnish with minced parsley and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Photo credit: Ashley Hankins