Saucy Vegan Pad Thai With Crisp Pan-Fried Tofu
Zesty lime, salty vegan fish sauce, and sour-sweet tamarind give this traditional noodle dish a veritable explosion of flavor.
January 27, 2023
This sweet and savory Thai noodle dish from the Vegan Asian: A Cookbook has crunch from bean sprouts and peanuts and added heat from a generous sprinkling of red pepper flakes. Find vegan fish sauce at speciality vegan markets, or swap it for more soy sauce in this recipe.
What you need:
¼ cup coconut sugar
¼ cup vegan fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons tamarind purée
1 (8-ounce) package dried rice noodles, at least ⅛-inch thick
3 tablespoons neutral oil
1 (7-ounce) block extra-firm tofu, pressed and sliced into ½-inch cubes
1 small white onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh bean sprouts, plus more for serving
1 scallion, sliced into 2-inch strips
1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, for serving
2 tablespoons sliced scallions, for serving
2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
What you do:
- In a small bowl, combine coconut sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and tamarind. Set aside.
- In a large, heatproof bowl, place rice noodles. Cover with boiling hot water to completely soak noodles for 6 to 7 minutes, or until white and no longer translucent. Drain and set aside. 3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Once hot, add tofu and pan fry, flipping about every 2 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Move tofu to side of pan and add onion and garlic. Sauté until cooked, about 1 minute. Add rice noodles and prepared sauce.
- Stir well and cook for 5 minutes, or until noodles are cooked through but still a little chewy. Lower heat to medium and mix in bean sprouts and strips of scallion. Cook for another 2 minutes, or until bean sprouts are tender.
- Divide noodles into two serving bowls, each with a generous squeeze of lime, sprinkle of red pepper flakes, scallions, and peanuts. Stir and enjoy hot.
Here at VegNews, we live and breathe the vegan lifestyle, and only recommend products we feel make our lives amazing. Occasionally, articles may include shopping links where we might earn a small commission. In no way does this effect the editorial integrity of VegNews.