Vegan Apple-Chickpea Kale Salad With Mustard-Dill Dressing
A tangy mustardy, citrus, dill dressing takes this cool and crunchy salad to the next level.
October 27, 2022
The mingling of warm and cold vegetables, crunchy apples, meaty chickpeas, and the slight tingle of a thinly sliced red onion pack this salad from the Smorgasbowl cookbook with lots of flavor.
What you need:
For the salad:
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 small zucchini, diced
½ small yellow onion, diced
1 (16-ounce) can of chickpeas, strained and rinsed
1 bunch Tuscan kale, large stems removed and chopped fine
½ teaspoon salt
1 medium honeycrisp or similar apple, diced
½ small red onion, sliced thin
For the dressing:
¼ cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons mustard
1 teaspoon dried dill
What you do:
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of oil until hot, then add zucchini and onions. Cook, stirring with a spatula, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add strained and rinsed chickpeas and sauté until chickpeas are heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add kale, remaining oil, and salt. Massage with hands. Add apples and red onion and toss together.
- For the dressing, to a small glass jar add all ingredients, cover with a lid, and shake until well combined.
- To serve, arrange equal portions of kale salad and warm zucchini, onions, and chickpeas in bowls. Drizzle with dressing and serve.
Here at VegNews, we live and breathe the vegan lifestyle, and only recommend products we feel make our lives amazing. Occasionally, articles may include shopping links where we might earn a small commission. In no way does this effect the editorial integrity of VegNews.