The mingling of warm and cold vegetables, crunchy apples, meaty chickpeas, and the slight tingle of a thinly sliced red onion pack this salad from the Smorgasbowl cookbook with lots of flavor.
What you need:
For the salad:
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 small zucchini, diced
½ small yellow onion, diced
1 (16-ounce) can of chickpeas, strained and rinsed
1 bunch Tuscan kale, large stems removed and chopped fine
½ teaspoon salt
1 medium honeycrisp or similar apple, diced
½ small red onion, sliced thin
For the dressing:
¼ cup orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons mustard
1 teaspoon dried dill
What you do:
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tablespoons of oil until hot, then add zucchini and onions. Cook, stirring with a spatula, until lightly browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add strained and rinsed chickpeas and sauté until chickpeas are heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add kale, remaining oil, and salt. Massage with hands. Add apples and red onion and toss together.
- For the dressing, to a small glass jar add all ingredients, cover with a lid, and shake until well combined.
- To serve, arrange equal portions of kale salad and warm zucchini, onions, and chickpeas in bowls. Drizzle with dressing and serve.