Vegan Cinnamon Sugar Churros With Dark Chocolate Sauce
This easy vegan churro recipe pairs perfectly with a thick, rich, and creamy coconut-based chocolate sauce.
December 27, 2022
Cripsy, golden, sugar-dusted churros from the One Green Planet cookbook are fried to perfection. Switch it up by dipping in warm peanut butter, strawberry sauce, or vegan caramel sauce.
What you need:
For the churros:
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup neutral vegetable oil
2 cups flour
5 to 6 cups oil for frying
For the cinnamon sugar coating:
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
For the chocolate sauce:
⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
¼ cup full-fat coconut milk
¼ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
What you do:
- For the churros, in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring water, salt, and vegetable oil to a low boil. Once boiling, remove mixture from heat. Into a large mixing bowl, add flour and add water mixture. Stir until well combined, then let dough cool for 15 minutes.
- For the cinnamon sugar coating, in a shallow bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Once cooled, transfer dough to a piping bag with a large star-tip attachment. Then in a deep pot, bring 5 to 6 cups of vegetable oil (enough to fully submerge churros) to 375 degrees.
- Squeeze 2 to 3 pieces of dough out at a time over pot of oil (around 4 to 6 inches long). Cut each piece with a pair of scissors or a knife.
- Fry churros until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, remove each from oil and place onto a paper towel-lined plate. Let sit for 30 seconds before rolling in cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining dough.
- For the chocolate sauce, in a double boiler over low heat, melt chocolate, coconut milk, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir constantly until chocolate has melted, then transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve churros while warm with a side of chocolate sauce.