Vegan Italian Soft Polenta With Tomato Sugo Sauce
Tucking into a bowl of this, warm, nourishing polenta will make you feel you’re eating a home-cooked meal at Nonna’s.
January 1, 2023
This garlicky, herby tomato sauce comes together in no time! Serve it liberally with the polenta in this recipe from the A Vegan Summer in Southern Italy cookbook, as polenta soaks up the sauce.
What you need:
For the sugo:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1½ cups tomato passata
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup basil leaves
For the polenta:
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups polenta
3 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes, plus more for sprinkling
What you do:
- For the sugo, in a medium pot, warm oil on low and fry garlic for 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Add tomato paste, salt, and basil. Cover and simmer on low.
- For the polenta, in a large pot, bring 8 cups of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, slowly pour in polenta while whisking. Lower heat and continue to stir until there are no lumps.
- Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until polenta grains have softened. Remove from heat and mix in oil and nutritional yeast.
- Into serving bowls, spoon polenta and pour sugo over top. Garnish with more nutritional yeast.
Here at VegNews, we live and breathe the vegan lifestyle, and only recommend products we feel make our lives amazing. Occasionally, articles may include shopping links where we might earn a small commission. In no way does this effect the editorial integrity of VegNews.