This garlicky, herby tomato sauce comes together in no time! Serve it liberally with the polenta in this recipe from the A Vegan Summer in Southern Italy cookbook, as polenta soaks up the sauce.
What you need:
For the sugo:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1½ cups tomato paste
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup basil leaves
For the polenta:
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups polenta
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes, plus more for sprinkling
What you do:
- For the sugo, in a medium pot, warm oil on low and fry garlic for 1 to 2 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Add tomato paste, salt, and basil. Cover and simmer on low.
- For the polenta, in a large pot, bring 8 cups of salted water to a boil. Once boiling, slowly pour in polenta while whisking. Lower heat and continue to stir until there are no lumps.
- Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until polenta grains have softened. Remove from heat and mix in oil and nutritional yeast.
- Into serving bowls, spoon polenta and pour sugo over top. Garnish with more nutritional yeast.
Photo credit: Nadia Fragnito