Vegan Sticky Sesame-Orange Tofu With Savory Pancakes
This sticky orange tofu dish has a hint of chili, nutty sesame seeds, and a topping of crisp, vibrant spring onions, reminiscent of the classic restaurant dish.
March 14, 2023
The sweet and spicy combination of marmalade and chili complements the tender tofu in this dish from the Vegan Fakeout cookbook. Swap up the toppings to your liking, such as bean sprouts for a lovely added crunch or chives and mint to enhance freshness.
What you need:
For the pancakes:
1¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
½ cup boiling water
1 teaspoon sunflower oil
For the tofu:
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (9½ ounce) block extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cut into bite-sized chunks
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
½ teaspoon dried chili flakes
3 tablespoons orange marmalade
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 green onions, finely sliced
¼ teaspoon salt
What you do:
- For the pancakes, into a large bowl add flour and pour in boiling water. Stir to form a thick dough, then allow dough to rest for 10 minutes until cool enough to comfortably handle.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour, then knead dough for 5 minutes. Cut dough into 8 even pieces. Lightly dust a rolling pin with flour, then roll each piece into a circle as thin as possible.
- Use a pastry brush to grease a skillet lightly with oil, then place over medium-high heat. Add each pancake to pan, cooking for 30 seconds before flipping and cooking for another 30 seconds, ensuring they don’t brown. Keep warmed.
- Dust cornstarch evenly on a plate. Evenly coat tofu pieces in cornstarch.
- Add oil to a separate frying pan over high heat, and add tofu. Cook for 10 minutes, turning frequently to ensure even cooking. Add chili flakes and cook for another minute. Add marmalade and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions, and salt. Spoon tofu into pancakes and serve.
Here at VegNews, we live and breathe the vegan lifestyle, and only recommend products we feel make our lives amazing. Occasionally, articles may include shopping links where we might earn a small commission. In no way does this effect the editorial integrity of VegNews.