Vegan Pomegranate Stuffing With Lemon-Cashew Cream Sauce
Pops of juicy pomegranate seeds and a tangy lemony sauce add brightness to this traditionally indulgent dish.
November 10, 2022
Upgrade your traditional vegan stuffing recipe with this herbaceous, saucy stuffing recipe from plant-based blogger The Vegan Rhino.
What you need:
For the lemon cashew cream sauce:
1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked for at least 6 hours and drained
½ cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
½ teaspoon salt
For the stuffing:
1 loaf bread, diced
⅔ cup vegan butter, melted
2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
½ cup yellow onion, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped
2 tablespoons egg replacer, prepared according to package instructions
⅔ cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
½ teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
½ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoons ground black pepper
Pomegranate seeds, to garnish
What you do:
- For the lemon cashew cream sauce, into a blender, add all ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour into a container with a lid and place in refrigerator.
- For the stuffing, preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease a casserole dish.
- Onto a baking sheet, place diced bread and place in oven, flipping every couple minutes to prevent burning. Remove from oven once bread is dry and golden brown. Pour into a large bowl.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter and sauté sage, onion, and celery until onions are translucent and butter begins to lightly brown. Remove from heat immediately and pour over bread. Add egg replacer, vegetable broth, parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper and mix until thoroughly combined. Pour into greased casserole dish and place on center rack in oven.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and sides are bubbling.
- Serve immediately topped with pomegranate seeds, extra parsley, and cream sauce.