The pumpkin, sunflower, and chia seeds in these crispy rice treats from the Mostly Plant-Based cookbook, not only add to these bars crunch factor, but also provide a boost of plant protein and good fats.
What you need:
2½ cups puffed brown rice cereal
¼ cup pepitas
¼ cup shelled sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons chia seeds
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted, divided
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup creamy cashew butter, or nut butter of choice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips
Flaky salt, for topping
What you do:
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper with ends overhanging for easy removal of bars.
- In a large bowl, combine puffed brown rice, pepitas, sunflower seeds, and chia seeds.
- In a small saucepan, heat ¼ cup of oil, maple syrup, cashew butter, and vanilla over medium heat, stirring frequently, until combined and liquid, 45 to 60 seconds. Pour wet ingredients over dry and use a rubber spatula to mix, ensuring cereal is evenly coated.
- Into prepared pan, pour mixture and use a spatula to spread in an even layer. Press down firmly.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, place chocolate chips and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, and microwave on high in 30-second increments, stirring after each increment, until melted, about 90 seconds total. Pour over brown rice mixture to coat and smooth into an even layer. Top with flaky salt.
- Place in freezer to set for 30 minutes. Once set, remove from pan and cut into squares. Store in a sealed container in refrigerator for up to a week or in freezer for up to a month. Let frozen bars sit out for 10 to 15 minutes before consuming.