Vegan Sweet Potato Cake with Thick Sweet Potato-Coconut Frosting
Yellow sweet potato adds mellow sweetness, moisture, and a tender crumb to this delicious birthday-ready layer cake.
August 7, 2021
Coconut butter and blended sweet potatoes combine to make a creamy frosting for this double-layer yellow cake from Dreena’s Kind Kitchen cookbook. Top with sprinkles, fresh berries, or chocolate shavings for a stand-out dessert.
What you need:
For the cake:
1 cup cooked yellow sweet potato flesh, cooled
1½ cups vegan milk
3 tablespoons raw cashews
1½ teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups spelt flour
2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
For the frosting:
2 cups cooked yellow sweet potato flesh, cooled
1 cup coconut butter, not melted
¾ cup sugar
⅔ cup vegan milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
What you do:
- For the cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans and cut a round of parchment paper to fit bottom of each pan.
- Into a blender, add sweet potato, milk, cashews, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and blend until completely smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well. Into prepared pans, evenly divide batter. Bake for 21 to 23 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely in pans. Carefully invert pans to remove cakes and set aside.
- For the frosting, into a high-speed blender, add sweet potato, coconut butter, sugar, milk, and salt. Process until very smooth, scraping down blender as needed. Add vanilla bean powder and stir with a spatula.
- On a plate, place one cake layer and spread a thick layer of frosting over top. Place second cake layer on top and evenly spread with frosting. Ice sides of both layers with remaining frosting.
Photo credit: Dreena Burton