Summertime is synonymous with grilling season and we’re flipping out over this mouthwatering recipe from VBQ: The Ultimate Vegan Barbecue Cookbook by the minds behind EatThis!, the most popular vegan blog in Germany, Nadine Horn and Jörg Mayer.
What you need:
For the sauce:
¼ cucumber, diced
1½ tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1½ tablespoons chopped fresh dill
¾ cup unsweetened, plain vegan yogurt
½ teaspoon salt
For the marinade:
¼ cup unsweetened, plain vegan yogurt
1 large red chili pepper, stemmed
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 star anise pod
1½ tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon peanut oil
For the skewers:
14 ounces tofu
1 lemon cut into wedges, for garnish
What you do:
- For the sauce, in a small bowl, mix all ingredients together and set aside.
- For the marinade, heat grill. Into a blender add yogurt, pepper, garlic, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, star anise, tomato paste, and oil, and blend until well combined. Transfer marinade to a medium bowl.
- For the skewers, cut tofu into 1½-inch cubes and add to marinade. Marinate for at least 4 hours in refrigerator.
- Thread tofu onto metal skewers, reserving marinade, and cook over indirect heat on grill with lid closed for 10 minutes. Turn the skewers over and cook for another 8 minutes. Baste with leftover marinade.
- Serve skewers with yogurt sauce and lemon wedges.
Tip: These skewers cook better if a skewer rack is used. This way tofu does not come into contact with grill and cannot stick.