Makes 18 pies
What you need:
For the cookies:
2 cups gluten-free oat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin spice powder
½ cup pumpkin purée
½ cup vegan butter
½ cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
For the buttercream:
½ cup vegan butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoon pumpkin spice powder
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. For the cookies, into a medium bowl, add flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin spice powder and mix to combine.
3. Into a separate bowl, add pumpkin purée, butter, sugars, and vanilla, and beat with a handheld mixer. Once combined, add dry mixture to wet and mix until combined, then fold in oats.
4. Place rounded tablespoons of dough ½-inch apart onto baking sheet. Grease bottom of a glass cup, press down lightly on each cookie with bottom of cup, and bake for 9-11 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
5. For the buttercream, into a bowl, beat butter for 1 minute, add sugar, and beat for additional minute. Add the pumpkin spice and beat again until combined and fluffy.
6. To assemble, spread or pipe onto bottom of one cooled cookie, top with another, and repeat with remaining cookies.
First Place: Chocolate-Dipped Almond Cranberry Shortbread Cookies by Rosie Scott-Benson
Third Place: Dirty Chai Sugar Cookies by Amy McDonough
Click here for the 2017 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest Finalists. And for even more amazing holiday cookies, check out the 2015 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest and 2012 VegNews Holiday Cookie Contest winners.
Photo by Hannah Kaminsky
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!