This sweet and savory Thai noodle dish from the Vegan Asian: A Cookbook has crunch from bean sprouts and peanuts and added heat from a generous sprinkling of red pepper flakes. Find vegan fish sauce at speciality vegan markets, or swap it for more soy sauce in this recipe.
What you need:
¼ cup coconut sugar
¼ cup vegan fish sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 tablespoons tamarind purée
1 (8-ounce) package dried rice noodles, at least ⅛-inch thick
3 tablespoons neutral oil
1 (7-ounce) block extra-firm tofu, pressed and sliced into ½-inch cubes
1 small white onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh bean sprouts, plus more for serving
1 scallion, sliced into 2-inch strips
1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes, for serving
2 tablespoons sliced scallions, for serving
2 tablespoons chopped roasted peanuts
What you do:
- In a small bowl, combine coconut sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, lime juice, and tamarind. Set aside.
- In a large, heatproof bowl, place rice noodles. Cover with boiling hot water to completely soak noodles for 6 to 7 minutes, or until white and no longer translucent. Drain and set aside. 3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm oil. Once hot, add tofu and pan fry, flipping about every 2 minutes, until golden brown and crisp on all sides, about 10 minutes total.
- Move tofu to side of pan and add onion and garlic. Sauté until cooked, about 1 minute. Add rice noodles and prepared sauce.
- Stir well and cook for 5 minutes, or until noodles are cooked through but still a little chewy. Lower heat to medium and mix in bean sprouts and strips of scallion. Cook for another 2 minutes, or until bean sprouts are tender.
- Divide noodles into two serving bowls, each with a generous squeeze of lime, sprinkle of red pepper flakes, scallions, and peanuts. Stir and enjoy hot.
Love vegan food and cooking as much as we do?
Get the BEST, editor-tested recipes inside every issue of VegNews Magazine. Find out why VegNews is the world’s #1 plant-based magazine by subscribing today!